Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Congrats to Bill and Gloria!!!

http://gaither.com/news/bill-receives-honorary-doctorate-taylor-university

Hello--I tweeted a couple messages earlier regarding the news of Bill receiving the honorary doctorate from Taylor University. I felt my short statements did not do justice to the recognition that Mr. Gaither deserves. I am glad to see that Taylor University recognized his accomplishments and impact he has had and continues to have in people's lives.

I have been to Bill's Homecoming concerts and I have to say that I am overwhelmingly impressed. The concerts are professional yet laid-back, coordinated yet flexible. Bill really knows how to use the Spirit of God to help him decide when to change and when to stick to the program.  For example, on the Alaska Cruise this summer, I really wanted to hear the GVB sing "Clean". I asked Kevin to put a request in to Bill and I know he did.   My understanding is that Bill typically follows the same program for both concerts. As I was in the second concert "blue badgers!", I was waiting to hear "Clean" (I believe the GVB sang it in the first concert). In the "blue badge" concert, I think they were about to sing "Clean" when Bill changed the song after Russ sang a powerful melody about redemption.  Bill was listening to the moving of the Holy Spirit.

Bill's songs are not only well-written, well-produced, and magnificently arranged, they also speak to the heart and soul of men and women. I will be honest that coming from Hawaii, I never heard S. Country Gospel music until I met my wife 10 years ago. She grew up listening to the Homecoming music and eventually had me as a convert. My favorite part of Bill's music is the life-changing and inspiring message he brings about God.

As I mentioned earlier in my tweet, I also want to congratulate Gloria. Being married and in ministry myself, I know how critical it is to have a wife that supports and contributes to your work. I know that Gloria has had a significant influence in Bill's music and ministry. She may not receive the recognition that Bill does, but she absolutely deserves it.

In closing, thank you Bill and Gloria for staying true to your calling, ministry, and message of the Cross of Calvary. I pray that God continues to bless you and add as many years to your lives as possible.

PS--See you on the ship in Feb.!

No comments:

Post a Comment